Sean is our National Physical Activity/Physical Education Advisor for Let's Move! Active Schools and he is ready to support your efforts to improve your program.
Connect with Sean
Head over to our Training Center where you can learn about new trends from Sean and share your ideas and best practices with other school leaders.
1. What is it that you really do at the Alliance?
Provide support, technical assistance and trainings in physical education/physical activity to schools enrolled in the Let’s Move! Active Schools Program.
2. What has brought you and kept you in this line of work?
I have always been grateful to the educational system for having an impact on my personal development. Having spent 22 years in public education working with young people to develop an interest in their health and physical well-being and now being able to utilize my experiences to assist teachers in becoming more effective is very rewarding
3. Why schools or out-of-school time?
As a former teacher, school based administrator and district administrator, I realize the importance of the school environment and how the school culture can impact students and their attitudes towards living a healthy and active lifestyle.
4. On the rare, almost nonexistent, occurrence when you’re not being healthy, what is your guilty pleasure?
A college football filled Saturday with massive amounts of chicken wings.
5. Are there any changes or developments in the school or out-of-school time health space that have caught your attention and you are excited to see continued?
Research and reports on the link between academic achievement and physical activity. Information that supports the concept that healthier kids do better in school. There is more to the educational process than having students sit sedentary for the entire school day.
6. If you were just starting to make healthy change at your school or out-of-school time setting, what would be the first thing on your to do list?
Achieving staff, student and parent buy-in. Effective sustainable change only occurs with the support of all stakeholders.
7. Do you have any “unique” physical activity practices (e.g. do you partake in roller derby)?
No roller derby for me.
8. What is your favorite part of your job?
Working with individuals and an organization that are focused on a common goal. Traveling to school districts to work with teachers and being able to assist them in developing/maintaining quality physical education/physical activity programs.
Or Content Support Manager, Dana Roberts