Healthy Schools Program
The Alliance’s Healthy Schools Program is currently building healthier school environments for more than 18 million students in more than 31,000 schools in every state and the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
- Eighty percent of participating schools have made measurable progress towards creating a healthier school environment.
- A significant number of our schools have improved the nutritional values of their school meals and increased the quality and number of minutes of their physical education programs.
- Eighty-five percent of our schools meet or exceed the Alliance’s school beverage guidelines.
- The majority of HSP schools dedicate at least 20 percent of their after-school program time to physical activity.
- Three-quarters leave school facilities open for use after school and on weekends.
Healthy Out-of-School Time
The Alliance’s Healthy Out-of-School Time Initiative provides out-of-school time providers with a science-based framework that helps programs create environments where youth are encouraged to eat healthier and move more.
- The Alliance’s Healthy Out-of School Time Framework outlines standards and best practices as well as a six-step process to help out-of-school settings become healthier places.
- The Alliance’s Framework for out-of-school time environments is based on the National After-School Association Standards for Healthy Eating and Physical Activity.
Healthier Generation Benefit
The Alliance for a Healthier Generation convened national medical associations, leading insurers and employers to offer comprehensive health benefits to children and families for the prevention and treatment of childhood obesity – the Healthier Generation Benefit.
- Eligible children have access to at least four follow up visits with his or her primary care provider and four visits with a registered dietitian per year.
- These healthcare professionals will work with children and their families on establishing and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
- Health insurance organizations offering the Healthier Generation benefit include Aetna, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts, Capital District Physicians’ Health Plan, Highmark Inc., Humana, and WellPoint.
- Employers such as Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Owens Corning and Paychex, Accenture, Leviton, North Shore Long Island Jewish Health System, PepsiCo, and Weight Watchers have also joined with the Alliance to offer these benefits.
Team Healthier Generation
Team Healthier Generation, a national fundraiser for the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, is inspiring runners across America to combat the childhood disease by raising money to expand healthy eating and physical activity programs in schools, community organizations, and healthcare settings.
- Team Healthier Generation is an Alliance for a Healthier Generation fundraiser aiming to both motivate and support athletic and endurance event participants, as well as raise much-needed dollars to expand the Alliance’s reach and impact on childhood obesity.
- Participants can run their first 5K or add another marathon finisher medal to their collection.
- Team Healthier Generation helps participants reach their personal fitness goals and make a difference in children’s lives at the same time.