Kids will love this delicious Rachael Ray recipe for BBQ Turkey Sloppy Joes with Pickled Jalapeno Relish and Pineapple Cole Slaw!
Makes 100 servings
BBQ Turkey (100 3oz servings)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 20 lbs ground turkey
- 6 medium red onions
- 6 medium red bell peppers
- BBQ Sauce (see corresponding recipe)
- 100 whole-grain buns
- Heat steam kettle or tilt skillet to medium high heat.
- Add oil to coat surfaces then add turkey and mix well to brown. Once turkey is browned drain fat from kettle.
- Chop red onion and bell pepper in chopper or food processor until finely chopped.
- Add to turkey and cook until veggies are soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the barbecue sauce and let simmer for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Place mixture in to 2 inch deep pans and observe HACCP procedures for holding hot foods.
BBQ Sauce (100 servings)
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1 #10 can diced tomatoes, with liquids
- Hot sauce*
- Combine liquids and tomatoes in a stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Reduce heat to simmer and let cook until slightly thinner than prepared BBQ Sauce.
- Add the hot sauce if you wish.
Pickled Jalapeno Relish (100 1 oz servings)
- 1 #10 can dill pickles
- 1/4 # 10 can pickled jalapeno peppers
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 medium red onions
- Drain pickles and jalapenos.
- Peel and clean onions and peppers.
- Place all ingredients in food processor and chop until medium fine. Do not overchop.
- Prepare this one to two days prior to serving.
Pineapple Cole Slaw (100 1 cup servings)
- 4 quarts yogurt, plain, low-fat
- 2 tablespoons ginger, jarred, chopped or 2 teaspoons ground
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 5 cups vegetable oil
- 13.5 lbs cole slaw mix
- 1 #10 can crushed pineapple (Drained in a colander)
- Chop ginger in large bowl OR food processor.
- Mix yogurt, vinegar, oil, ginger and pineapple.
- Mix cole slaw w/ enough dressing to coat.
- Do this in at least 4 separate batches, making sure to coat the mixture well. Refrigerate overnight.
- Mix well before serving.
- Calories: 377
- Total fat: 16.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Sodium: 388mg
- Carbohydrates: 27.4g
- Serve on a 3 compartment plate
- Place bun down first then, using a 3oz scoop, add Sloppy Joe on bottom bun and set top bun on slightly offset
- Use an 8 oz spoodle for Pineapple Cole Slaw
- Offer Pickled Jalapeno Relish as a condiment.