Our entree is a fiesta fish sandwich made with tuna. We tested it with students before we got out for the summer and got good results from them. Fiesta sweet potatoes is our sweet potato wedges with a Mexican seasoning on them. We went with fresh vegetables and fruits for the rest of the tray because our students love them. Our dip for our vegetables is made with plain yogurt. Nothing on our tray has mayonnaise in it-- we went with a healthier alterative!
Recipe created by Susan Foster and Becky Martin, Hall County Schools, Gainesville, GA.
Makes 50 servings.
Fiesta Fish Sandwich
- 1 3/4 cup red onion
- 1 tbsp raw garlic
- 5 lbs. 15oz fresh tomatoes
- 2 ½ oz fresh cilantro
- 5 oz green chilies, diced
- 1 tbsp black pepper ground
- 5 tbsp Mexican seasoning
- 6 lbs. 12 oz tuna in water pouch
- 50 (2 slices) goldfish bread, 100% whole wheat
- Wash and peel red onion. Roughly chop and add to the vertical chopping machine (VCM).
- Peel garlic. Roughly chop and add to VCM.
- Wash and cut tomatoes in wedges, add to VCM.
- Wash cilantro, add to VCN
- Pulse ingredients together 6-8 times until mixture looks like Pico de Gallo.
- Scrape mixture into large mixing bowl.
- Add green chilies, black pepper, Mexican seasoning and tuna to mixing bowl.
- Mix until well combined.
- Assemble sandwich by placing 3/8 cup of tuna salad on goldfish bread.
Sweet Potato Fries
- 5 bags (2.5 lbs) sweet crinkle cut sweet potato wedges
- 10 tbsp Mexican seasoning
- 5 tbsp parsley, dried
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- Open each bag of sweet potato wedges, and add 2 tablespoons of Mexican seasoning to each bag. 4. Close each bag and shake well.
- Pour sweet potato wedges onto baking pan. Follow the ratio of one bag to one pan.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of parsley over each baking pan of sweet potato wedges.
- Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes.
- 12 lbs 8oz strawberries, raw
- 5 cups sliced kiwi, raw
- Wash and drain strawberries. Set aside.
- Wash, peel and slice kiwi fruit. Cut kiwi into 1/8 in. thick slices.
- Weigh 4 oz strawberries per serving.
- Garnish with 2 slices of kiwi.
Vegetable Broccoli Dipper
- 6 lbs 4oz broccoli, raw
- 3 lbs 2oz baby carrots, raw
- Wash broccoli florets.
- Assemble veggie dipper by putting ½ cup of broccoli in each container.
- Garnish with baby carrots.
French Onion Dip
- 1 gal. yogurt, low-fat, plain
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp celery salt
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp parsley, dried
- Measure ingredients.
- Mix well.
Total Fat: 11.83g
Saturated Fat: 2.03g
Trans Fat: 0.0g