Try this terrific Rachael Ray recipe for Silly Chili con Fusilli!
Makes 100 servings.
Chili (Serving size: 4 oz)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 20 lbs lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 8 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons garlic, jarred
- 20 medium red bell peppers, chopped
- 1.5 cups chili powder
- 10 cups low-fat, low sodium chicken stock
- 2 #10 cans low sodium crushed tomatoes, with liquids
- 2.5 cups ketchup
- 2.5 cups yellow mustard
- 6 lbs whole-grain fusilli or 10 lbs medium grain brown rice
- In a steam kettle or tilt skillet, add the olive oil at medium heat.
- Put in ground beef or turkey, break it up as it browns. After meat is browned, drain the fat.
- Add onions, peppers, and garlic and cook until softened.
- Mix the chili powder with the chicken stock and add to the meat.
- Cook for five minutes or until reduced by ¼ .
- Add the crushed tomatoes, ketchup, and mustard.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes until flavors come together and it thickens.
- Cook fusilli or rice according to package directions.
Black Bean and Roasted Corn Salad (Serving size: 1/2 cup)
- 2 cans low sodium black beans, drained
- 2.5 cans low sodium corn, drained
- 4 medium red onions
- 3 medium red peppers
- 3 medium green peppers
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro, cleaned thoroughly
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Drain and rinse black beans and corn.
- Roast corn in oven at 350 degrees until corn colors slightly.
- Peel onions and wash and cut red and green peppers in half, removing seeds and ribs.
- Put peppers, onions and cilantro through buffalo chopper or food processor.
- Mix with corn, beans, lemon juice and oil.
- Refrigerate overnight
Chili Fixin Bar
- 2 #10 cans low sodium salsa (USDA)
- 6.25 lbs shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 7 lbs shredded lettuce
- 3-1/8 lbs fat free sour cream
- 12 limes
- 5 bunches fresh cilantro, cleaned thoroughly
- Place items in bowls on serving line after students receive their chili so they can have fun "customizing" it. Estimate portions according to your student population.
- Calories: 310
- Total fat: 11.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Sodium: 264mg
- Carbohydrates: 29.3g
- Serve in a 30-oz bowl.
- Fill bowl 1/2 way with pasta or rice.
- Use a 4 oz spoodle for chili.
- Cup the black bean salad in 4-oz cups.
- Set fixin bar up in bowls and let students have fun!!!
SUBSCRIBE VIA RSS