Try this yummy Rachael Ray recipe for Spring Pasta with Veggies and Tomato Mozzarella Salad!
Makes 100 servings.
Spring Pasta with Veggies (Serving size: 1 cup)
- 2 lbs onions
- 6 lbs carrots
- 11 lbs zucchini squash
- 8 lbs whole wheat rotini
- 4 cups olive oil
- ¼ cup minced garlic
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 gallon low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
- 5¼ lbs frozen peas
- ½ cup fresh parsley or 2.5 tablespoons dried parsley
- ¼ cup fresh rosemary or 4 teaspoons dried rosemary
- ½ cup fresh thyme or 2.5 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1/8 cup black pepper
- 1 ¼ cup parmesan cheese, reduced fat
- 3 lemons, juiced
- Thinly slice onions. Shred carrots. Cut zucchini into matchstick size pieces.
- Cook pasta in steam kettle for 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions
- Drain kettle. Remove pasta from kettle and drain. Do not rinse.
- Reheat kettle and add in olive oil.
- Add garlic and onions and cook for two minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add carrots and cook for four minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add zucchini and cook for four additional minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add flour and stir well to coat vegetables.
- Add chicken stock, 1 quart at a time. Stir well to incorporate stock and flour, then cook for five minutes.
- Add pasta and peas. Cook for five minutes stirring gently to keep pasta whole.
- Remove from kettle and divide into five each 2 inch deep steam table pans.
- Clean fresh parsley, rosemary, and thyme and remove tough stems. Chop herbs.
- Combine these three herbs with pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle the top of each pan of pasta with approximately 1/2 cup of the fresh herb-cheese mixture.
- Cut lemons in half. Squeeze half a lemon over each pan.
Tomato and Mozzarella (Serving size: 3/4 cup)
- 20 medium whole tomatoes
- 4 medium red onions
- 12 ½ lbs reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup fresh basil or 1/3 cup dried basil
- Core tomatoes and cut into wedges (8 per tomato).
- Cut onions into very thin slices.
- Cut mozzarella into 1 inch cubes.
- Two hours prior to service, mix tomatoes, onions and dressing. Refrigerate.
- One hour prior to serving, mix in mozzarella cheese. Refrigerate.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of basil right before serving.
Tomato and Mozzarella (Dressing)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups fresh basil or 2/3 cup dried basil
- One day before serving, mix garlic, honey, salt, pepper, oil, water, oregano, vinegar and 2 cups of basil in blender.
- Calories: 256
- Total fat: 9.75g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Sodium: 92mg
- Carbohydrates: 37.22g
- Use a 6 oz spoodle.