Get Your Green On
Summer is here and things are heating up in gardens, farms, and markets across the country. There is no better time to take advantage of fresh and local produce to help you increase the number of fruits and vegetable servings in your diet.
Are you getting your five a day? Create your own summertime challenge and see which family member can reach your goal!
5 tips to enjoy the summer harvest:
1. Redefine Dessert: Satisfy your sweet tooth with some watermelon and cantaloupe! In the heat of the summertime, there is nothing more refreshing than some cool, ripe fruit. Skip on the cake and cookies –this kind of dessert is OK to eat at any time of day!
2. Feeling Tired? Fruits and vegetables are known to keep you extra alert! Eating an apple is a more reliable method of staying awake than drinking a cup of coffee. The natural sugar in an apple is stronger than caffeine!
3. Cool as a Cucumber: Soup in the summertime may sound surprising, but a chilled cucumber or carrot puree garnished with parsley is an exciting and delicious idea for bringing these vegetables into your diet. Just sauté, puree and you are on your way!
4. The Hotter, the Healthier: Bring out some hot peppers this summer. Not only are peppers high in vitamins, chili peppers are full of capsaicin, a natural component utilized to treat various ailments, such as arthritis and high blood cholesterol.
5. Grill It Up: Why cook indoors on a beautiful summer night? Zucchini, peppers, and mushrooms make a great grilled kebab! Add some sweet grilled corn on the cob to complete the meal!