Active and Healthy this Summer
It is tempting to stay indoors during the hottest part of the summer, but that shouldn’t discourage you from getting your daily dose of physical activity!
5 Tips to Stay Active
1. Turn Screen Time into Active Time: Just because the TV is on doesn’t mean you can’t move your body! Do leg lifts and stomach curls as a family when you watch your favorite program, or try jumping jacks and push-ups during commercials.
2. Beat the Sun: The heat of the sun is most intense around noon. Try heading out for a walk early in the morning or in the evening after dinner—and bring the whole family! If you can’t walk outside, try a brisk stroll around your local mall.
3. Indoor Fitness: If you think it is too hot to exercise outside in July, it might be the perfect time to sign up for an indoor fitness activity. Whether it’s yoga, gymnastics, Zumba or an indoor trampoline park, find something that your family enjoys enough to keep coming back for more.
4. Create Screen-Free Bedrooms: Studies show that children who have computers and TVs in their bedrooms spend an average of 1-2 more hours in front of a screen every day. Make sure this isn’t your child, and always put family time before TV time.
5. Get Wet: July is the perfect month to play in the pool. Bring the whole family and spend the afternoon in the water. Don’t forget to wear sunscreen!
What Fruits and Veggies Are in Season?
The infographic below highlights healthy summer produce. Use it to get your family excited about trying new fruits and vegetables all through the summer months.
Right click on the graphic to save it, print it, and share it.