I’ll Have a Salad With That
McDonald’s has partnered with the Alliance for a Healthier Generation and made a commitment to modify their menu and utilize their global marketing power to promote healthy behaviors in children and families.
McDonald’s has specifically committed to:
- All customers can substitute a side salad, fruit, or vegetable as a substitute for French fries in value meals
The commitment also includes the following related to the promotion and advertising of Happy Meals:
- Only promote and market water, milk, and juice as beverages in Happy Meals on menu boards and in-store and external advertising
- Utilize Happy Meal and other packaging innovations and designs to generate excitement for fruit, vegetable, low/reduced-fat dairy, or water options for kids
- Dedicate Happy Meal box or bag panels to communicate a fun nutrition or children’s well-being message
- Ensure 100 percent of all advertising directed to children will include a fun nutrition or children’s well-being message
These small steps by large companies can lead to systemic change nationwide. For instance, our landmark agreement with the American Beverage Association resulted in a 90% reduction in calories shipped to schools. The commitment McDonald’s is making is a critical step in the right direction. Increasing access to healthier options improves nutrition and leads to better health, an important strategy in helping reverse the childhood obesity epidemic.
President Bill Clinton, Don Thompson, President and CEO of McDonald’s, and Howell Wechsler, CEO of The Alliance made the announcement on stage at the 2013 CGI Annual Meeting in New York City. We are incredibly excited about this commitment from McDonald’s and look forward to the influence it can have on increasing healthy options and promoting healthy choices.
“It is imperative for McDonald’s and other industry leaders to leverage their market share and cultural relevance to help inform and influence the way families eat outside the home.” – Dr. Howell Wechsler, CEO of the Alliance
“Our partnership with the Clinton Foundation and the Alliance for a Healthier Generation is an important step in our journey. Our commitment does not stop here. We will continue to use our size and scale around the world to help educate, empower, and encourage our customers to make informed choices so they can live a balanced, healthy lifestyle.” –Don Thompson, President and CEO of McDonald’s
“If we want to curb the catastrophic economic and health implications of obesity across the world, we need more companies to follow McDonald’s lead and to step up to the plate and make meaningful changes. I applaud them for doing it."- President Bill Clinton