Steps to Support Youth Engagement
- Involve youth in taste tests and menu planning.
- Invite youth to participate in a health council that can help advise programmatic activities.
- Engage youth in planning and leading new physical activities and games.
- Encourage youth to plan and implement new activities or clubs promoting healthy eating and physical activity.
Resources to Support Youth Engagement
Learn how to engage youth in a way that gives them the skills and confidence they need to make healthy decisions on their own. Use our featured resources below to start fostering youth voices at your site.
- Positive Youth Development Resource Manual (PDF)
- Washington Youth Voice Handbook
- Service-Learning in Afterschool: Helping Students Grow and Communities Prosper
Our Healthy Out-of-School Time initiative offers a science-based framework that helps programs create environments where youth are encouraged to eat healthier and move more.
We've collected hundreds of resources to help support out-of-school time health.