- Find out when the school wellness committee meets. Ask if you can join!
- Be a spokesperson at a PTO/PTA meeting. Share the school wellness committee’s health and wellness goals. Brainstorm with the group how they can support those goals.
- Volunteer to survey other families. Find out about their interests, expertise and what they can contribute.
- Support healthy celebration policies. Share ideas with other families.
- Contribute non-food rewards for teachers to use.
- Make a breakfast or lunch date with your child to show your support for your school nutrition department.
- Spearhead a healthy fundraiser.
- Plan a healthy potluck for teacher appreciation week.
- Ask community members to contribute financially.
- If the school is participating in social media, run an awareness campaign.
- Create a list of Smart Snacks compliant products using the Alliance’s Smart Food Planner for the school store.
- Help the school nutrition department run a taste testing event or focus group.
- View these videos for ideas on creating healthier rewards, fundraisers and celebrations
- Use the power of social media! Post on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.
- Be an advocate for more recess! Learn more.
- Vocalize your support for Physical Education.
- Help the school connect with the community. Ask a local business to support physical activity by asking for equipment or providing bottled water or bananas for a fun run or walk.
- Include physical activity opportunities in the school newsletter.
- Lead a physical activity break for staff at a faculty meeting.
- Lead a physical activity scavenger hunt using the Alliance’s fitness trail stations at a family night.
- If you are volunteering in your child’s classroom use these task cards for a fun physical activity break!
- When you are a classroom volunteer, take the opportunity to lead a physical activity break. Create FitSticks for the classroom!
- Spearhead a school garden or farm-to-school project.
- Advocate for more structured physical activity breaks in afterschool programs.
- Encourage students to get involved (and excited!) in changing the foods and beverages around campus. Find out if you can help a teacher with one of these projects.
- Teach a nutrition education lesson as a guest or at a family night.
- Lead a healthy community event.
- Show a Fit for a Healthier Generation video during a PTA/PTO meeting. Get other families active!
We offer virtual trainings, curricula and online communities to support school leaders.
Join the Conversation
Visit our online community to ask questions about updating your wellness policy and talk with experts.
SUBSCRIBE VIA RSS