National Healthy Schools Award
Every child deserves to attend a healthy school. Be honored for your hard work in creating a healthier school by earning a National Healthy Schools Award. All award winners are recognized as America's Healthiest Schools.
What is the National Healthy Schools Award?
The National Healthy Schools Award is a prestigious achievement that celebrates your hard work in creating a healthier school! Awards are granted at the Bronze, Silver and Gold levels.
Schools that receive this award meet best practice criteria established in the Healthy Schools Program Assessment. The Healthy Schools Program Assessment, a version of the 2017 School Health Index from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, addresses the health topics in the Healthy Schools Program Framework of Best Practices: Policy & Environment, Nutrition Services, Smart Snacks, Health & Physical Education, Physical Activity, and Employee Wellness. Best practice criteria includes serving healthier meals and snacks, getting students moving more, offering high-quality health and physical education, and supporting staff wellness and empowering them to be healthy role models.
Why Apply for the National Healthy Schools Award?
Earning a National Healthy Schools Award from the Alliance for a Healthier Generation demonstrates that your school values health and wellness, and the award serves as an honor to celebrate with your community. The award indicates that your school is a leader in school health and has made the effort to ensure that the environments that surround kids provide and promote good health.
The National Healthy Schools Award comes with a multitude of benefits, including:
- A spot on our annual list of America’s Healthiest Schools, seen by millions nationwide each year through local and national media, such as USA Today, The Huffington Post, Woman's Day, and more.
- A digital promotion package including web graphics, social media messages, newsletter and email templates that help you share your accomplishment with your school, district, and larger community.
- Celebration materials – including a certificate and other materials to display at your school – so your staff, students and parents know about your hard work.
1. Go to your Healthy Schools Program Dashboard
2. Click the "Assessment for Schools" link to the right of your school
3. On the top of the page, click the link under "Apply for an Award"
Keep reading for more helpful tips and info!
What is the Application Deadline?
Schools may apply online between February 2019 and May 1, 2019.
- Application opens: February 15, 2019
- Final due date: May 1, 2019
- Award notifications: Fall 2019
- America’s Healthiest Schools Nationwide Announcement: September 2019
Apply Early! All applications are due no later than May 1, 2019. Applications must be complete in order to be submitted for consideration. Schools will be notified of their award status by fall 2019.
How to Apply for the National Healthy Schools Award
1. Use our online Assessment tool to help determine if your school is meeting best practices for creating a healthier environment for students and staff.
- Print our Assessment Guide to help you navigate the online Assessment, and learn about the required evidence and documentation for the National Healthy Schools Award
- Once your Assessment has been completed, use our National Healthy Schools Award Guide to determine if your school's Assessment answers meet the eligibility requirements for the National Healthy Schools Award. The National Healthy Schools Award Guide also provides information on which award level your school qualifies.
2. After identifying your school’s award level eligibility, it's time to gather the evidence and documentation that will be required to complete our National Healthy Schools Award application.
3. You're ready to apply! Make sure you complete the application for the award level for which your school is eligible (refer to Step 1). To get started on your application, go to your Dashboard and click the “Apply” link to the right of your eligible school.
NOTE: All past Award winners are welcome to apply!
Help & Support
- If you have questions about how to answer the questions on our online Assessment or evidence for the application, please reach out to our National Advisors.
- If you have technical questions about using our online Assessment tool or completing the Award Application, please contact our Member Engagement & Support Team.
- These short videos will walk you through the steps to determine your eligibility, gather required documentation and submit a successful online application.
Important Information About the Application Review Process:
- Before submitting your application, please double-check to make sure all fields are completed correctly.
- Once submitted, applications are final and cannot be edited.
- Schools will be notified of their Award status by Fall 2019.
Past Award Winners
Check out America’s Healthiest Schools over the years: