5 Tips to Keep Your Family Healthy and Active this Summer
School may be out, but that’s no reason to forgo the healthy habits that you and your children have worked hard to establish all school year. Longer days and sunnier weather make summer the perfect season to practice healthy habits at home!
Try these five tips to help you and your family have your healthiest summer yet:
1. Eat Well: Take advantage of summer’s fruit and veggie bounty. Bring your children to a local farmers market and encourage them to pick a new fruit or vegetable to try at your next meal!
2. Get Moving: Kids need at least 60 minutes of physical activity each day and adults need at least 30 minutes to stay healthy. Run, play, jump, skip, swim – the options for summertime fun and physical activity are endless! Ditch the screens for some fresh air!
3. Drink Water: High temperatures and lots of outdoor activity make it extra important to stay hydrated in summer. Even mild dehydration can cause tiredness, headaches, and lack of concentration. Listen to your body’s needs and let thirst be your guide. If you feel thirsty, your body is telling you it needs more hydration and water is a natural, healthy and sugar-free way to stay hydrated.
4. Stay Protected in the Sun: Prolonged exposure to sunlight can increase your risk of skin cancer. Whether you’re going for a short walk or spending a day at the beach, be smart and lather up! Choose a water-resistant, broad spectrum sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher to best protect yourself and your family from the sun’s harmful rays.
5. Be Food Safe: Summer is a time for picnics and potlucks. Don’t let food-borne illness ruin the festivities! Regularly wash hands with soap and water and separate cooking surfaces to keep raw seafood, meat and poultry away from fresh produce.